I know you are here because you want to learn on how to change the icon of an App Windows 10. You can change the icons on your computer using the icons already available in the system, downloading them from the Internet, or using special applications that contain pre-installed sets.
There are several resources online with lots of free icons, such as Iconarchive or Findicons. This article will describe in detail how to change icons for various types of files, change system icons, and also create them yourself using special programs and online services.
Changing the appearance of system icons
- We call the system parameters window from the start menu or use the keyboard combination “Win + I”.
- Next, open the section “Personalization”.
- Open the item “Themes”.
- After that, click on the link “Desktop icon settings”.
- Select the icon we need to change and click “Change icon”.
- A standard set of Windows icons will appear, where you can select a new icon or upload your own using the Browse button. You can extract an icon in this way from DLLs, application files, or the usual ico icon format.
- After selecting the desired image, click on the button “Apply”.
After the performed operations on how to change the icon of an App Windows 10, the icon will immediately change. If it doesn’t, then you need to restart your computer for maximum process on how to change the icon of an App Windows 10.
Changing shortcut icons
How to change the icon of an App Windows 10, you will need to use special applications, but you can create a shortcut for it and change its appearance. To do this, we will perform the following operations:
- Click on “Properties” from the shortcut menu.
- After that, click on the button “Change icon”.
- Next, using the “Browse” button, we upload a file that has an icon that suits us.
- Select it and click “Apply”.
- At this stage, the system may request administrative access. We provide it by clicking “Continue”.
- After that, click “OK”, and the icon will change to the selected one.
Change the icon of a specific folder
To carry out this operation on how to change the icon of an App Windows 10 in ten, we need to do the following steps:
- Click on the “Properties” item from the context menu of the desired folder.
- Open the “Settings” tab.
- Next, click the “Change icon”.
- A window will appear for selecting a file, where, using the “Browse” button, we load the icon we need.
- Save the applied setting by clicking “OK”.
Changing the icon of all folders
How to change the icon of an App Windows 10 of all OS directories, you will need to edit several parameters in the Windows registry. We will need to perform the following operations:
- We call the window “Run” using the keyboard combination “Win + R”.
- Enter the regedit command and press “OK” or “Enter”.
- Next, click “Yes” to give the application the ability to change the settings.
- Open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry branch and then go to Software – Microsoft – Windows – CurrentVersion – Explorer – Shell Icons. Note: If the Shell Icons directory does not exist, then you will need to create it yourself by selecting the “Create” – “Section” option from the Explorer directory menu.
- In the section on the right, call up the menu using the RMB. Next, we will use the option “Create” – “String parameter”.
- Enter the number 3 in the name field.
- Double-click on the new key and in the value column write the address of the location of the icon with the ico extension.
- We press “OK”.
Close the application and restart the computer. After restarting the system, the new icon will be displayed on all folders.
Changing Icons for File Types
How to change the icon of an App Windows 10 for all files with the same extension, you will need to resort to using third-party applications. In Windows XP, it was possible to change these icons with system tools, but in subsequent versions of the OS, this feature was removed.
We will use for this purpose a small but handy FileTypesMan program, which is distributed free of charge, but does not have native support for the Russian language. If necessary, you can find a crack for it on the Internet.
After going to the download page, to start downloading the file, scroll down and click on the desired link by the bit depth of your OS.
You do not need to install the program on how to change the icon of an App Windows 10, you only need to unzip the downloaded archive.
- We launch the FileTypesMan.exe application from the folder where the files were extracted.
- Next, select the type of file for which you want to change the icon.
- From its context menu, select the option “Edit Selected File Type”.
- Click on the button with three dots in the line “Default icon”.
- Next, using the “Browse” button, we load a file with a new icon into the application.
- We click “OK”.
The icon for the selected file type will change to the specified icon immediately; you don’t need to reboot the system.
Special Icon Changer Apps
Several programs can change icons in Windows 10. Sometimes they also include built-in icon sets. Let’s take a closer look at the four most popular applications.
IconPackager is a program developed by Stardock that specializes in changing the Windows interface. It already has several icon sets to choose from. You can also download additional icon packs and modify them to your liking. The application is paid, but it can be used for 30 days without registration in English.
After downloading and installing the application, at the first launch, click “Start 30-Day Trial”.
Next, enter your email address and click “Continue”.
Note: after that, you may need to confirm the specified mailbox. You will need to open the letter that will come to the mail, and follow the link to activate the program.
Then you can use the built-in icon packs or download your own from the Internet. You will need to do the following:
- Open the “Look & Feel” tab.
- Click on the link “Icon Package Options”.
- From the menu, select “Add Icon Package”, and then – “Install from disk”.
- Select a file with a set of icons from the computer disk. Thus, it will appear in the list of themes of the application and can be applied.
Note: to return the default system icons, you just need to install the “Windows Default Icons” theme from the list of icon sets.
In the “Customize” section, it is possible to create your packages. After opening it, you can change any icon by clicking “Change Icon” from the context menu of the selected icon.
A window will appear for adding a new icon to the set. After finishing editing, click “Save Icon Package” to save the changes.
This program can change the standard, as well as some system icons. Initially, it was developed for the seven, but now it also works on the tenth version of the OS. The application is distributed free of charge.
Se7en TSP does not need to be installed on your computer – you only need to extract the files from the archive and run the application. The program’s website has an extensive selection of various icon packs. To add them to the program, you need to do the following:
- Download the appropriate icon pack.
- Next, run the application and click “Add a Custom Pack”.
- In Explorer, select the downloaded set file and click “Open”.
- The icon pack will open in the program. To apply it, we will use the “Start Patching” function.
- After that, the application will ask you to create a Windows restore point – choose the option of your choice.
- Further, for the icons to change, you will need to reboot the system.
- Sometimes icon packs for a given application have additional settings for OS elements, for example, they can change the system font or animation of dialog boxes. You can configure these options by selecting the “Extra” item in the menu and checking the options you need.
Note: you need to install icon packs using Se7en TSP on the system’s native icons. Therefore, if you have third-party icons installed, before using them, you must return the default settings by clicking on the “Restore” button.
IconTo is a free program for changing system icons and directory icons. It has a large number of built-in options to which you can add your own. The program is also able to create an icon from graphic files or extract it from dlls or programs. The application interface has support for the Russian language.
To change the icon of a file or system element using Icon to, you will need to do the following:
- From the menu of the system disk or file to which we will change the icon, select the option “IconTo – Change Icon”.
- An application window will open, where to start, click “Specify an icon”.
- Next, select the file with the icon and upload it.
- Click on it in the IconTo window to indicate your choice.
- Click on the “Set icon” button.
- After the performed operations, the standard icon will be changed to the selected one.
Note: you can return the normal icon for the changed file or system element using the button “Remove folder icon”.
This program is used to change the system files of the OS, as well as the resources of any other applications. With its help, you can change both system icons and change the icon of a third-party application. Resource Hacker is a free utility without Russian language support, however, if necessary, you can find a crack for it on the network.
After installation, you can start changing icons. Most of the system icons are contained in the imageres.dll file located at C:\Windows\System32. You need to edit this library, be sure to first save a copy of the original file, and also get full access to it in its properties.
Important: inexperienced users are not recommended to modify system files, as serious problems may arise during the modification process.
So, to change icons using Resource Hacker, we need to do the following:
- We launch the application and open the imageres.dll file in it.
- Open the section “Icon”.
- Select the icon to replace, and from its context menu, click “Replace Icon”.
- Next, click “Open file with new icon”.
- Select the desired file on the disk and click “Replace”.
- We save the changes made using the button with the floppy disk icon.
The icons will change after a system reboot.
How to make your icon
If you want to create your icon, draw it or convert it from a simple image, then you can use auxiliary programs for this or convert the image to an icon using online services. Let’s take a look at several icon-maker apps and online services for converting an ordinary image into an icon.
This resource is a simple image-to-file converter with an icon.
- Going to the site, click on the button “Choose file” to upload the image.
- Next, click on the “Convert” button.
- After the image is processed, the file with the icon will be automatically downloaded.
This resource, unlike the previous one, has several additional settings with which you can change the resolution and size of the image, as well as crop its edges if necessary.
- Having opened the page for download, click on the button “Select files”.
- Next, if desired, set the conversion settings.
- Click on the button “Start converting”.
After the operation on how to change the icon of an App Windows 10 is completed, the finished file will be automatically downloaded to the computer.
IcoFX is an advanced icon editor with extensive functionality. The application is paid, but it can be used for 30 days without registration. The program interface has support for the Russian language and is intuitive.
After installing the editor, to create our icon, we need to do the following steps:
- We launch IcoFX and open the image file in it, from which we need to create an icon.
- If necessary, edit the image using the program tools.
- After that, click on the button with the Windows logo image.
- Next, check the option “Sharpness after resizing” and set the adjustment level. Since the icon often looks blurry after reducing the image, it is recommended to use the smallest images to minimize distortion.
- Click “OK”.
The icon is ready, and it can be saved using the item of the same name in the File menu.
This program works on a similar principle to the previous one. It has fewer options for image editing, but it has all the features you need to create your icon. Unfortunately, the application does not have a Russian-language interface.
- After installation, run the program and click “Use Trial Version”.
- Open the image file in it, from which we will create an icon.
- If necessary, we edit the picture using the program tools.
- After that, click on the button with the image of the letter “I”.
- Next, press the button “OK”.
The icon is ready, and it can be saved in the computer’s memory.
Summing up our instructions for how to change the icon of an App Windows 10, we can say that the easiest option to change is to use the Icon Packager program, but it often unnecessarily loads the system.
The most professional option for how to change the icon of an App Windows 10 is editing the imageres.dll file – this method will take more time and require additional skills from the user, but in this case, the icon replacement occurs at the system level, and does not require the use of third-party applications to display the result.